Sunday, September 18, 2011

ADHD: To treat or not to treat?


A reprint:

As I drove into work this morning the radio was playing Green Green Grass of Home. Must have been years since I heard it. Tom Jones!

As soon as I stepped into the clinic, my trusted secretary asked: Have you heard, the new Health Minister is banning ADHD and its benefits!

“Wow! Andrew Lansley?”

“That’s it. He is banning the diagnosis made by private clinics. Diagnosis can only be made by NHS Child Psychiatrists and those on medication would not get benefits. Only those not on medication might be considered for some benefits. And only for school holiday time!”

“So the Daily Mail can no longer rant and rave about it!”

“Parents are up in arms because of the benefit thing. But you have always said that a third of our patients are fakes!”

“Don’t quote me or I will get the sack”

Then I heard Tom Jones again! Strange! We do not have a radio at the clinic!

“Then I awake and look around me, at four grey wall surround me
and I realize that I was only dreaming.”

Yes, I have retired! 

Then I read in The Guardian

“According to data obtained exclusively by Education Guardian under Freedom of Information legislation, there has been a 65% increase in spending on drugs to treat ADHD over the last four years. Such treatments now cost the taxpayer over £31m a year.”                          More>>>>



Related:

No comments: